Sunday, February 7, 2010

Mom-to-Mom Connections

I'm exhausted yet really inspired right now. I just got back from a blogging conference (Blissdom) that was filled with some of the most amazing moms I've ever met. Some work full-time outside of their homes and blog on the side and some have made a lot of money by turning their blogs into a full-time business. These are savvy, dedicated, motivated, and deeply encouraging women who truly know their way around a keyboard. I was overwhelmed because I've just begun my personal social media journey, and I honestly try to stay away from my computer during much of my non-paid working time. However, during our sessions, I sat next to women who Tweeted, blogged, and connected pretty much the whole time. It was amazing to me...these women are amazing to me.

Moms all around the world have found a way to leave their corporate positions and stay at home with their babies but still make enough money to not only survive but live really well. More importantly however, moms are connecting with other moms in a way they couldn't 20 or 30 years ago. Moms are able to share their thoughts and concerns, answer questions or ask questions, and truly find like-minded women to build relationships with they might never have met without social media tools. I met four women at similar stages of their lives as myself...all with different stories but the same goal - share, connect, support. I truly believe that these women (theunexperiencedmom.com, pineapplebabble.com, queenmotherblog.com, and theadventureofmotherhood.blogspot.com) will be a part of my life for a long time in some way. As Bay put it when we were sitting at dinner last night, "this, right here, was worth my price of admission."

I was incredibly inspired to keep reaching and keep connecting through our sessions as well as my personal conversations with so many savvy, strong women, and I thought I would just share with you one thought for the week that I pulled from our amazing keynote speaker, Kevin Carroll (I'll tell you more about him later this week) - all most of us want is to belong to a community, so find yours and encourage others to do the same. We all need inspiration and support from time to time, and we should be seeking out those who push us and step away from those who drain us. Thank you Blissdom.

6 comments:

  1. I love it! Kevin was so inspiring & meeting you girls really was the highlight of my trip! Thanks for checking in on me :)

    <3 Bay

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well said Erica!

    Let me know when you are in the KC/Lee's Summit area again.

    Take Care!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You ladies absolutely made the trip for me! Without you, I would have spent more time than appropriate in my room watching New Moon - because I'm cool like that.

    Please keep in touch! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stopping by from Tamara's blog-- she and I are also good buddies, you met a great lady! Wanted to come visit you and tell ya that I'm looking forward to reading more!

    ~Elizabeth
    Confessions From A Working Mom

    ReplyDelete
  5. It was nice to meet you (at the Orowheat/Blue Bunny lunch)!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I also had a great time at Blissdom (followed up 2 weeks later at the Mom2.0 Summit, a very different but also wonderful and inspiring blog conference).

    You nailed it on the head when you wrote "More importantly however, moms are connecting with other moms in a way they couldn't 20 or 30 years ago. Moms are able to share their thoughts and concerns, answer questions or ask questions, and truly find like-minded women to build relationships with they might never have met without social media tools."

    Not only is that aspect more important than the money, but don't be fooled, if women say they've quite their jobs to pursue a blogging career and have managed to match their old salary, they probably weren't making very much money to begin with. There are a lot of women who make money off of their blogs, but we're talking between $5 and $50 a month in advertising income. There are women who are making more than that through relationships that go beyond advertising.

    Those fun brand trips with lots of swag? I've been on a couple- if you get invited to one, don't pass up the opportunity to go! But such trips don't pay the mortgage.

    I don't want to sound discouraging. I think lots of opportunities will be opening up for mombloggers in 2010! It's going to be exciting and you'll want to be a part of it, just don't quit your day job yet!

    ReplyDelete